• provides training to parents, carers, and professionals;
• develops and produces printed and electronic resources;
• works with others to make their information accessible;
• provides advice and support to families and professionals;
• works in partnership to influence society and empower people.
Makaton uses signs, symbols and speech to help people with learning and/or communication difficulties to communicate. Through the use of Makaton, children and adults can interact with others, be included in everyday life, take part in education, access information and services and fulfill their potential.
Our aim is to ensure that everyone living with learning and/or communication disabilities has the tools and resources they need to communicate.
Through our national network of over 1,000 licensed Makaton tutors and trainers, over 30,000 parents, carers and professionals receive Makaton training each year. Our cascade approach enables us to share knowledge and offers a sustainable model for empowering others to improve communication for all.